The right temperature setting for your water heater can make all the difference in reducing energy costs and ensuring safety every time you use this appliance. Fuel oil delivery and HVAC services expert Thomas J. Fannon & Sons explains what you need to know.
Recommended Temperature Settings
Experts recommend setting the water heater temperature between 120 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. This, however, will depend on a few factors you’ll want to consider. These include the following:
- Energy Savings. The 140-degree-Fahrenheit setting is considered the standard, but if you want to achieve significant savings on your energy bills, you’ll want to settle for the 120-degree setting.
- Health of the Household. Adjust the water heater setting to 140 degrees Fahrenheit or higher if you live with individuals with suppressed immune systems.
- High Demand for Hot Water. If you live in a multi-person household, expect the demand for hot water to be high. Thus, you’ll want the water heater’s temperature to remain at around 140 degrees.
- Young Children and Older Adults. Living with kids or the elderly means your water heater must maintain a 120-degree temperature setting to lower the risk of scalding.
- Dishwasher. Got an old dishwasher at home? Those without the capability to increase water temperature rely on water heaters set to 140 degrees or higher.
Adjusting the Temperature Setting
When setting the temperature on your water heater, follow these guidelines:
- Consult the owner’s manual for recommended temperature setting and adjustment
- Schedule regular maintenance and inspection by a qualified professional to maintain optimal performance and energy efficiency.
When the time comes your water heater needs to be replaced, look no further than Thomas J. Fannon & Sons. We offer a wide range of gas, electric and oil-fired heaters, as well as tankless types. Count on us for your HVAC repair and maintenance as well. Call (703) 549-5700, or fill out our contact form to request an appointment. We serve homeowners in and around Alexandria, VA.